Sunday, April 29, 2012

One Week in Bangkok


My friends know that before moving to Mumbai I hadn't traveled much.  A trip or two to Mexico and  Hawaii and numerous road trips around the states.  So opportunities to visit new places in this amazing world contribute to this adventure.

I can add "Professional Development" to the list of perks for teaching overseas, as you get to go to new and exotic places to receive your training!  Last week I traveled to Bangkok, Thailand to attend a professional development.

My visions of Bangkok were taken from old new clips and movies and so I was very pleasantly surprised to find a beautiful, clean, modern city.  The sky train made it extremely easy to get around and there was fantastic shopping and sightseeing!

Shopping at MBK, Patpong and Chatuchak markets yielded , a mango wood Happy Buddha for Rick, a new pair of Ray Ban's for Tully, traditional Thai pajamas for Bailey and Naomi and Thai silk scarves to share when we get home. I also managed to pick up a few things for our home as reminders of my trip.

On Saturday, I took a long boat up the Choa Phraya River to the Grand Palace.  Construction began on the palace in 1782.  I can't even begin to imagine how it was built.  There are just no words to describe the detail and opulence of the buildings there.  The palace was home to the King of Siam up until 1925.  Oh, to have been around with Anna in the 1860's!  I can't even begin to imagine!  I'll leave it to the pictures to try to tell you about this amazing place.

Kelli's Trip to Bangkok

Bangkok



Oh, did I mention that I also visited the American School of Bangkok and attended a really good professional development?  I think I added some tools to my tool kit for hard to teach students!  Can't wait to give those new strategies a try!


No comments:

Post a Comment